Pivot tables allow you to organise and summarise your data without changing the source data itself.
Building a Pivot table takes under a minute and is an incredibly useful tool for slicing and dicing your data without the need for time-consuming reports.
- Highlight the sheet you want to use
- Go to Insert > Pivot Table on the ribbon
- Select that you want it to be generated in a new sheet and let the wizard do the work
- The PivotTable field list appears on the right-hand side. You can now drag the fields to the different areas to summarise and organise your data.
- Filters: to filter at the top of the sheet
- Rows and Columns: show rows on the left-hand side and columns across the top
- Values: by default will show the Count of that field but can be changed by clicking and selecting ‘Value Field Settings’ to show Sum, Average, % of column total and perform calculations